john said on November 2nd, 2005

I am with you on this one. I think it’s a really tacky move on Landrovers’ part to put a figure such as Osama in their marketing campaign.

For sure looks like it would be taken as a spoof as like something you would see in Ad Busters or a magazine like that.

Prest0 said on November 2nd, 2005

Although I didn’t see Osama in the thumbnail version, once you pointed it out I see what you mean. Definitely in poor taste.

Anonymous said on November 2nd, 2005

surely that’s a fake..?

Freddy said on November 2nd, 2005

Its not a fake, it was done by FCB. I usually don’t post fake stuff on here, unless i mention that it’s fake.

Kenny Bania - The Freshmaker said on November 2nd, 2005

right off the bat i hate this ad for the mere fact that it is soley based on a current event/pop culture icon. it looks like something jay leno would add to his show to fill up the time slot.

and yeah, i’m pretty sure this is student work.

Kenny Bania - The Freshmaker said on November 2nd, 2005

holy shit — i can’t believe this is real.
i thought for sure this was student work.

Anonymous said on November 2nd, 2005

You are spot on. It reminds me of the cingular ads that offended me:

I first saw this billboard in nyc and I was utterly shocked; it looks like a stab at 9/11.

-Janet

Martina said on November 2nd, 2005

Well, I find quite silly the idea of using Osama as a testimonial. I believe this is a spoof.

How can a brand associate its name to a terrorist? Even if this tries to be funny, I’m sure negative reactions overcome positive comments among consumers.

Mark said on November 2nd, 2005

yeah this definetly looks like a spoof. no way would land rover want to be associated with bin laden, no way.

Jonas K. Sekamane said on November 3rd, 2005

I think the basic idea is good.

Have in mind that the target is not christian housewifes in the suburbs(who finds everthing anybody say or shows offending).

Von K said on November 4th, 2005

“The ad should have been more exaggerated to make the “funny”-part stand out, and thereby reduce association between the brand and the person”

Uhm, play up the “humor” and downplay the association? They are tied togeter. I guess you could get more humor from this, but if Osama’s at the wheel then Osama’s doing the endorsing.

Janet- That Cingualar board is just sloppy work. I doubt there was any malicious intent behind it.

Ringo said on June 15th, 2007

This is a fake. I have worked with land rover on a number of occasions and know very well how their advertising ethic works. The thought that such a solidly british company with such rich heritage would ever pass this is a farce. Land Rover would never EVER produce or pass anything so politically provocative.