julian said on December 30th, 2005

Keep in mind that that swirlie didn’t come out of nowhere—it’s better to compare the new logo to the old logo with the “Intel Inside” branding, which had the swirlie. They incorporated the swirlie into the logo text in part so the “Leap Ahead” branding doesn’t take up as much space now.

The logo definitely looks a lot more like the logo of a company that builds components for modern digital equipment. Unfortunately in that typeface I don’t think the ‘e’ fits in as well (that may have been why they subscripted the ‘e’ in the old logo to begin with). Part of it is probably that the ‘n’ doesn’t have as much curve to it, so the extreme roundedness of the ‘e’ sticks out more.

I do like it more than the old one.

ElvisIsGod said on December 30th, 2005

This is a hard one to grade.
Intel is such a well known brand,
They have kept a link with the past by having that swish (intel inside). The font is distinctive, and I do like it. I think it will work out for them.

Nigel Brachi said on December 30th, 2005

I think it’s an improvement because the old logo was beginning to show its age… but my initial reaction was negative, there seems to be a mix of 2- and 3-D elments (with the swirl, and the base of the I and the L) which is visually quite confusing… maybe they could/should have done something with the dot on the I…

Leap ahead, though, seems like a great tagline.

Roba said on December 30th, 2005

I like the old one much better.

Jack Yan said on December 30th, 2005

The dropped e on the old one did not make much sense to me, but the new one almost seems too generic, thanks to ‘Intel inside’. The real answer is ‘It depends’: if there is a sincere desire to reposition, and not much beyond that, then this evolved logo blending two earlier ones might be OK. Any grander changes within Intel will necessitate something more different.

Brian said on December 30th, 2005

As Julian noted, there is quite a distinct visible difference between the curvatures on the “e” and the “n” that (for me) kill it. Especially that “e.” It just seems to clash so much with the rest of the design. I also agree with Nigel about the curved bases on the “i” and the “l” but not using that curvature on any of the inner elements.

One thing, and I may be alone on this, but when I see a dropped portion of a letter (such as the left portion of the “t”) I generally think of that as a visual way to separate two merged words to clarify their meaning. For instance, in this case I would normally understand the meaning to be “In” and “Tel” as in “Internet Telephone” or “Internal Telephone.”

I always thought the old logo had a sense of humor about itself in that the name of the company is slang for intelligence yet it was not a clean typeface.

Then again, this may all be in my head.

Paul Joyce said on December 30th, 2005

Well, it’s no ‘leap ahead’. Frankly, I’m disappointed that the swirl/elipse/arc design element is still being repackaged these days. I understand the desire to link to the legacy logo, but isn’t one of the objectives of a redesign to say that ‘this isn’t the same old company’?. And can someone tell me why that visual blight – the registered ‘r’ mark – is so dominant in nearly every logo except Apple’s? Wonder how much the design company got paid for this tweak.

advertisingwithoutpity said on December 31st, 2005

the logo doesn’t seem like a big shift. to me it looks like just about every other tech logo these days.

the shift strategially to ‘leap ahead’ is bold but could potentially backfire. ‘intel inside’ is easy to understand. i get it. ‘leap ahead’ sounds like marketing mumbo jumbo. it’ll be interesting to see where they go with it.

Ivan said on December 31st, 2005

Read my opinion about the new identity:

Liam Dunaway said on December 31st, 2005

Well, I guess us mac users will never see the dreaded “Intel Inside” logos on our machines after all.

Matthew F said on December 31st, 2005

See, I never recognised the old Intel logo with dropped ‘e’, because it never appeared on any products.

The ‘Intel Inside’ with pen-drawn circle appeared on packages.

So is this logo going to be the company logo, or the logo they use to brand computers?

Bang! said on January 1st, 2006

After looking at the old logo, i could see why Intel chaged. Leap Ahead? It could be that AMD is spanking them in the 64-bit PC processor department. but hey, they’re gonna make processors for Apple pretty soon too…

Blue Mahogany said on January 1st, 2006

I agree with advertisingwithoutpity. Intel inside has always been what intel is all about. We all know that intel provides the technology “inside” PCs.

Changing the tagline to “Leaping Ahead” does not suggest anything Intel has to do to provide their technology to consumer providers. Perhaps it would merely suggest that they are trying to reposition but that would definitely not sustain for long.

Creating another sub-brand under the Intel umbrella could be an option in their new business vision.

Anonymous said on January 2nd, 2006

It’s ‘LEAP AHEAD’ you wanker. Try reading without faults before you comment. Basicly it comes to this: The new logo is an update. But still is very familiar to the old one. This is good. Second, the phrase ‘Leap ahead’ is a nice jeux de mots and speaks for itself. This is also good. So, what’s the problem? In the long run…it’s you. Maybe you should consider a logo update and a new tagline. Wanker

Anonymous said on January 2nd, 2006

I think it’s horrible. Why did they gave up the lowered “e”. They owned it … and I really can’t think of a reason not to keep it.
Same with the claim: intel inside was a dictum. “leap ahead” is just marketing blah. We’re all leaping ahead somehow, don’t we? At last we try too. So this is absolutely nothing unique.

I am abslutely stumped what they try with this step.

Anonymous said on January 3rd, 2006

Wouldn’t people look at the old Intel Inside logo on their digital camera or MP3 player and say “Cool, the guys who made all those PCs run so much faster and better are now putting their smart thinking into these devices. I think I’ll pay more for this one because of it.”
The new tagline is so weak. It’s one of those generic lines that could be applied to any car line or, supposed, “cutting edge” product out there.
It’d fit right in on the crappy Jaguar ads we see right below this story.

Kenny Bania - The Freshmaker said on January 4th, 2006

i agree with the anonymous poster who said they “owned the lower e.” true that. and it looks like they even changed the spot colour too. why?

but i can see them wanting to use a more futuristic and specific typeface. and they did incorporate the swoosh that they used in their “intel inside” slogan. so in a way i can respect their reasons for wanting a change, and the way they did it by re-incorporating familiar parts of the existing identity.

but that lower e is their money maker. that’s like taking away coca-cola’s red. you just don’t do that with a working brand. overall i prefer their old logo simply for that reason.

aty said on July 1st, 2007

i prefer the new one it is simpl distinstiv , but may it is need a graphic treatment

May 14th, 2006 at 4:06 am Gillico Blog » Blog Archive » Intel Leaps Ahead mention something about this post....
January 18th, 2009 at 1:58 pm Gillico » Design Blog Archive » Intel Leaps Ahead mention something about this post....