calvin said on March 1st, 2006

I think it’s a great idea, but won’t it be better if there the phrase “to the outdoors” used follow by the welcome word? its kind of confusing. good idea, but could have been great.

Alex said on March 1st, 2006

calvin, please tell me you’re joking.

Jeremy Weinland said on March 1st, 2006

I agree with calvin actually…

John said on March 1st, 2006

I think that adding ‘to the outdoors’ would kill the subtlety. Of course, they could put the mat outside to help people to ‘get’ it…

rowdy said on March 1st, 2006

Yawn.

I think nobody will notice, and if they do they’ll think the store just put a welcome mat on the wrong side of the door.

Maybe the welcome mat could ask them to choose a user name and password before exiting, to get them anxioius to get out that door and into the good stuff out there.

rod said on March 1st, 2006

c’mon guys…

just a question? are you guys “client”?

I’m sorry, even thou I respect your opinions. This is such a great, simple idea that it would already be too much just to add a drop of ink on it.

Plus, one the oldest bla bla bla rules in the creative process is “don’t say what you’re showing”. so…

rod said on March 1st, 2006

anyways… just to be more clear, you actually fuck up the idea big time if you add “to the outdoors”. just because you take away that click that the viewer gets when he/she sees it. let them have the pleasure to realize it on their on. even because it’s really obvious what they have to realize.

just my opinion.

Ollsen said on March 1st, 2006

I have the solution. The store needs another door. One door for entering and one door exclusively for leaving the store. And the staff could hand out little flyers explaining the idea. And why would one wipe his new (outdoor) shoes clean before going outside anyways?
Or: The doormat should be made out of mud. Yes, there should be a puddle of mud in front of the “leaving-door” with a sign on a post saying “Welcome to the great outdoors.” Ohhh… there are so many ways to think a good idea to death.

Jeremy Weinland said on March 1st, 2006

Rod,
I agree that it is a great simple idea and perhaps even adding ink would hurt it in some ways. The problem is that it is not clear enough and the viewer is likely to go on to something else before theyfigure it out. The general public does not look at an ad the same way a designer does or even a creative person does and is not going to sit there and THINK about what the message is. I just think that this good idea could have been executed in better way.

Brendan said on March 1st, 2006

Hate to be that guy, but I think I’ve seen this idea in a print ad a few years back, either for Nike or Timberland. Can anyone back me up?

GSHINE said on March 2nd, 2006

You’re absolutely right Brendan. It was a Nike print ad with the welcome mat by the front door turned around the wrong way — so when you’re leaving the house it says “welcome.”

BEEN DONE ALREADY! and at least in print ad form, it gave the viewer a couple more seconds (maybe) to “get it.”

jim said on March 3rd, 2006

already done for sony PSP too

Hannes said on March 14th, 2006
 Hannes said on March 14th, 2006

… check the Playstation ADD at the bottom of the page

March 5th, 2006 at 12:14 pm Marketing Post ™ » Beta » "Pazarlama Hakkında her şey" mention something about this post....