rowdy said on April 17th, 2006

Art directed violence is usually too over the top but in this case the aftermath doesn’t seem to match the impact. The car would be more jacked up than that. My friend (driving a Jetta wagon, by the way) was T-boned in an intersection by another car going about 25. His car was SO bent afterwards, doors way caved in, etc. He walked away badly shaken, and ended up with gnarly bruises from the seat belts digging into his skin.

Pedro Frot.a said on April 17th, 2006

I love the copy on the first ad:

Highest government side impact rating.

Very ingenious.

Kadu Dias said on April 17th, 2006

Hi,

Your blog is dinamic e modern. Very Good Job. I put your blog in links place on my blog. Good Work

allister said on April 17th, 2006

This is a whole other direction of car ads. You don’t expect it at all which adds to the impact. The camera angle makes it seem like you are a passenger in the car too. I think its really interesting but can offend people who are affected by car crashes.

But in the second one, who talks like that? Who has conversations about the word ‘like,’ I thought the two guys were about to get into a bitch fight.

Justin said on April 17th, 2006

i think that’s the point Rowdy. these new cars supposedly DONT cave in like that.

Nigel said on April 18th, 2006

I was left with the people saying “Holy…” and the ad saying “…safe happens”, and I got it. Are VWs that much better in crashes? Who knows… no doubt they passed/exceeded/won all the necessary tests, though real world crashes always seem worse. But the ad left me with the message of young people standing around a car having survived what looks like a fairly common sort of smash up. Their “Holy’s…” were about the fact that it happened… and the fact that they were OK enough to stand.

Speaks volumes…

Dominic said on April 18th, 2006

These are pretty good.
I really like the 2nd one, “stuff doesn’t ‘like’ happen”, then the crash happens and you read “safe happens”. That’s clever.
I also like the look of the cars at the end, though this doesn’t seem to match with reality pretty much 😉

Vic said on April 19th, 2006

On the relevance of the dialogue in the second spot, I have ‘semantics’ arguments with my friends all the time (inbetween typical male beer-swilling and grunting, of course). And did anyone in audio-post realize the implication of tires screeching?

Von K said on April 19th, 2006

“Stuff either happens or it doesn’t. Stuff doesn’t ‘sorta-like’ happen.”

(Tires screech, sound of impact)

I’d say they knew what they were doing…

james said on April 19th, 2006

Obviously they can’t show the car on the platform as it would REALLY look after an accident – it could be beyond recognition or at the least display the vehicle in a negative form, which would be bad for branding. The concept is a scare tactic to get attention, freak you out, and get a point across. Excellent work, as usual, from Crispin Porter and Bogusky.

Alejandro said on April 19th, 2006

Tires screeching…it sure doesn’t imply the anti-lock brakes work very well.

John said on April 20th, 2006

I think they’re creepy and shamefully exploitative.

marla said on April 20th, 2006

i’m sorry, but it seems that my opinion of these commercials aren’t going to be a popular one.

i think…their weird!

i had absolutely no idea that Crispin did these when i came to that conclusion either.

what i hate is the ending. it just feels weird to me. the first time i saw it, i was into it and appreciated the shock of the crash, but then there’s that stale, quiet ending. i honestly thought it was some sort of mistake in editing. it just doesn’t flow. and, i guess that’s what they wanted. but, to me, it made the commercial feel —- weird.

Gary said on April 20th, 2006

It is presumed the sound of screeching tires came from the other car’s attempt to stop. The VW simply kept going until impact.

Dario said on April 20th, 2006

I love the commercial but I feel that it COULD POSSIBLY give people a false sense of security.
But it spawned discussion and conscious awareness about something that I think about everytime I kiss My wife goodbye in the morning.

Ethan said on April 21st, 2006

I think these commercials achived the goal of deliveing the message of how save VW cars are, but to me, the expression in these commercials were too straight forward, kind of sick, it’s different from what VW usually do – “humor”, I think it’s a good try to try some other way, but they have to keep the same image of the cooporate, except they want to change somthing or deliver some different cooporate image to their customers.

Von K said on April 21st, 2006

Alejandro—you’re being way too literal. The sound is there because of it’s important mental connection with car accidents. It’s a signal for the viewer who’s distracted or only half-watching.

the authority said on April 21st, 2006

These ads are very well done. But they aren’t original. Far from it.

They’re scarily close to a Canadian Drinking & Driving PSA done a little while back. Coincidence? Plagiarism? You decide.

Take a peak: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4792689965619384476&q=drunk+driving&pl=true

Darlene said on May 2nd, 2006

I was a passenger in a head on accident, my husband was driving. When I watched the ad on TV, it brought back all the memories of this terrible accident, which took my husbands life. I called VW and told them how I felt. I don’t need a daily reminder of that.

Kyle Schembri said on October 31st, 2006

There was a similiar version to this which aired first before this for drinking and driving. I will see if I can hunt it down. It’s a little more graphic.

srah said on November 4th, 2006

I liked these, but at the same time, does anyone else think it inspires an idea that driving safely isn’t as important as it truly is?

We have a lot of hard-hitting (and very well done, in my opinion) safe driving adverts in the UK; I’ll see if I can track some down online.