Peter (lemotox) said on August 2nd, 2006

Took me a minute to get what it’s supposed to be about, which certainly is partly the mistake of the light situations that certainly don’t match, so I didn’t see the creme as part of the rest. My first thought was “…giant pen?”

akimbo said on August 2nd, 2006

Hm, I think it would be better if it looked more like a regular school pencil…this blue one looks like an eyeliner pencil, which makes me think ‘makeup’ not ‘cleansing’.

Freddy said on August 2nd, 2006

akimbo:
i think thats what they are going after. make up cleansing 🙂

New York Punk said on August 2nd, 2006

You should see the clever Neutrogena ads in NY. It’s a pretty girls face and a BIG logo.

Freddy said on August 2nd, 2006

Do you have an example of them by any chance ?

Ben Requena said on August 2nd, 2006

The different light sources are driving me nuts.

Deanna said on August 2nd, 2006

I third the light comments. But I do like the blues they’ve chosen. I would have preferred a more school-like pencil too – even though the make-up connection is there. It isn’t strong enough to me – especially since make-up pencils never have erasers – which is why I totally missed the product when I first looked – and had to search to find what they were advertising.

I really thought they were promoting a make-up line. [And then I thought…I wonder how I’d look in that great blue eye color they’ve chosen. Hmmm.]

Over all – I give it an “eh.”

New York Punk said on August 2nd, 2006

Freddy, I will definitely try to take some.

New York Punk said on August 2nd, 2006

“eh” thats a fantastic creative judgement. you a fan of neil french deanna?

Deanna said on August 3rd, 2006

— “eh” that’s a fantastic creative judgment. you a fan of neil french deanna? —

Honestly other than his comments on women creative directors [which I find not only laughable but anticipated given that he is a misogynistic coffin dodger.] – I don’t know much about Neil French. And I thought my commentary above the “eh” qualified the “eh” remark. But perhaps not – next time I’ll have to just call something “cute” or “nice” with no additional comments – and then you can really be excited to write a useful critique on my critique.

Daniel said on August 3rd, 2006

Hey Deanna. Before criticize Neil French read his version of the story and not only the feminist “gross” side of it. Ok?
Cheers

Deanna said on August 7th, 2006

Nice article – and I thank you for giving me something of the other side of the argument that I definitely had not heard – and it was good to hear it from Mr. NF himself. [I really do mean that and the rest of my comment here earnestly and without sarcasm at all – which I find hard sometimes to convey via the web.]

While I wasn’t there, of course, given the report of his quote by many sources “Women don’t make it to the top because they don’t deserve to. They’re crap,” you can understand my bit of frustration of him making such a general statement about a large group of people – classification only being that they are female so they must be crap at advertising – forgetting that like men, women are all different with different interests, talents, work ethics, priorities etc – and how one can possibly lump them into a collective group to comment on their qualification in a field is beyond me – especially when his basis is that this happens when most women have to give up devotion to their job when they have a family – forgetting that not all women procreate and this is a usually a choice not sacrifice.

It was nice that he qualified his statement in his rebuttal, and whether these qualifications were clear during his comment – I will never personally know being absent from the talk. [Not that I find it at all impossible that the media took NF out of context.] But I will admit that it was good and enlightening to hear NF’s side of the story – though it didn’t change my opinion of him. [Much like my opinion & other people’s will not change his opinion or comment on women in advertising.]

In the end – the NF debate was had by people more informed & qualified to argue it than me [mostly those who were actually there] and it was had over a year ago now – so I figure it has had its due which has since past. So I’ll leave the NF debate at this comment – though you are welcome to make more yourself.

And I still stick by my original comment which is the Neutrogena ad, in short of the longer comment I made, is “eh,” and that vapid descriptor, no matter how much New York Punk would like to think it has nothing to do with me being a woman but has to do with the fact that the ad was vapid itself.

oscar said on August 8th, 2006

weak, i didnt like.

Mr skin said on September 27th, 2006

Yuck, don’t like that at all.