joseph said on March 11th, 2008

100% mistake.

It was edgy, It was youth focused. It was bold. It was fashion.
Despite the Bevel look which could be just deleted.. This mark is how I see the brand.

Their new mark that is shown here:
It now is 50s, retro, uptight, not modern, and is probably appealing to an older demographic than prior. Its more Jetsons than it is Burton. I think this one is a gigantic mistake unless their going after an older market now.

Dave said on March 11th, 2008

Love it. I wonder what that typeface is?

I agree with Joseph that it is appealing to an older demo, which is a smart business decision as the boarding demo facebooks (i.e. my parents will be doing it soon).

Emma said on March 11th, 2008

Definitely liked the older R – even the image itself spoke of “mountains” – the new one reminds me of EB Games’ logo.

nikosrf said on March 12th, 2008

I can understand the ‘R’ mark, and i finally like it. I don’t really like the typography. It doesn’t mach with the mark. I would prefere it simpler.

mikelite said on March 12th, 2008

Sorry guys, I disagree completely. I think the new one is refined and distinguished. The old one seems way too forced, “Ooh, it kinda makes a stream! or maybe mountains?”

dimshady said on March 12th, 2008

font is trying to hard, line break makes no sense.

dimshady said on March 12th, 2008

sorry….i do the mark though.

Hugh said on March 12th, 2008

I like the new/old mark, but I also liked the old/new typeface. Rossignol is owned by Quiksilver now – never underestimate their ability to do this kind of thing. I’ll be interested to see where this goes.

Mark Forsman said on March 14th, 2008

Speaking as an 18 year old i think this comes out to my generation saying, “hey, want a pair of really good skis? We’ve been in this business a long time, and we know what we are doing.”

I love it.

joseph said on March 14th, 2008

this identity redesign is growing on me. mainly for my perception to change over night I guess.. I always envisioned rosignol as the 13-17 year old first part of skis brand.. guess its about changing that.

joseph said on March 14th, 2008

I mean Pair not Part.

J. Michael Roach said on March 15th, 2008

Congratulations to the Account Executive who sold what appears to be a completely unnecessary project.

It’s a fine new design, so no offense to the designer(s), but I fail to see the purpose in the project.

Yulia said on March 15th, 2008

i like the new font… though not particularly for this brand. i usually hate italic fonts but it seemed appropriate for Rossignol since it was all about movement for them. the physical act of the sports. i really don’t like the new “r”. liked the old one, will forgive the bevel. the tracking was a bit much on the bottom copy in the old logo tat could have been improved. the new logo has the word “company” as a widow.. orphan i always forget which one and it’s for no apparent reason. i just want to fix it. plus the “pure mountain” copy seems tight (kerning wise) on the text.

john doe said on March 17th, 2008

I really like the new logo. It is pure and simple. And more than the old one it is able to differentiate in a topic full of swooshes. Using the original R is more brand-building and especially for me brings back childhood memories, as my first ski was a rossignol. Frankly i’d even love to see the nightingale.

kazo said on April 5th, 2008

i like it. clean typeface is very 2008.

John B said on January 16th, 2009

As a long time skier…. I definitely like the new logo better. Rossi is a 101 yr old brand. Trying to be new and splashy is a bit of an insult to it’s own history. I was actually very upset that they had ditched the history ‘Coq’ Rooster logo, which is a sign showing that their equipment is used by the french ski team.

- J